WA case studies of smart storage solutions:
1. Manjimup farm (Backpackers camp) Solar + Tesvolt Battery storage 2. Pemberton Avocado Farm Solar + Tesvolt Battery storage
Manjimup/backpackers accommodation & facilities:
• Large farm location requiring stable energy supply for worker accommodation and facilities (fruit picking); • Incorporated 39kW ground mounted solar PV’s in conjunction with a TESVOLT 50kWh Lithium NMC energy storage system; • System was deployed to function as a smart grid. That is; an alternative parallel supply to existing grid infrastructure (essentially off-grid during peak periods) – transferring to grid at periods of low energy consumption. • Designed to provide a constant energy supply countering periods of low to zero generation from the PV system for limited durations – the TESVOLT system acts as a grid style back-up unit (or UPS) to ensure uninterrupted supply for the duration of the nominated operating hours.
Pemberton Avocado farm:
• Combination for two different battery technologies: Salt Water (Aquion) & Lithium NMC (TESVOLT) to create one, complete, sustainable and highpowered storage solution for a large building footprint (including residence), avocado farm and associated facilities. • The 210kWh hybrid battery storage solution is harnessing energy generated by a 53kW ground mounted solar PV array. • Utilising SMA multicluster technology in a completely off-grid capacity provided this site with continuous power supply covering periods of nongeneration and high consumption. • Integration of two (very different) energy storage technologies presented various challenges as the variation in performance criteria for each need to be translated to a centralised distribution point within this hybridised system.
3 key takeaways from this presentation:
1. Battery sizing does not need to be driven solely by consumption profile
2. An effective battery management system is just as important as the battery
3. Strong cash positive returns whilst maintaining grid connected infrastructure